Monday 22 July 2013

CONVERSATION IN A DELHI METRO TRAIN



Ever since the last decade, Delhi has tasted different flavors of changing lifestyle and daily travelling is its integral part. This would not have been possible without contributions of Delhi Metro. Making the city far more connected and accessible, it becomes a mute spectator of everyday’s hustle and bustle of the city. One can find it amusing to see people hurrying to park their cars for boarding their train. The stations at the office hours become best ground for marathon which people even end up getting sandwiched between the train gates. However, the life inside is a different one. For some it is an opportunity to relax while some complete their unfinished tasks. But for someone like me it is a good time for interaction with different people. Here, I share with you some moments with my metro friend, Parul.

Parul like many young students has recently made her way to the city of Delhi. It was wonderful to learn about her commitment to studies and was equally inspirational to know how she persuaded her family to send her  to Delhi for higher education. We meet almost every day now and shared world of things with each other. But today she seems utter pale and jaded. She is unusually silent and neither reading nor listening to music. Assuming it to be a hectic day for her, I too did not disturb her. Days passed, I got busy with my assignments and probably she too got engaged with hers. Right after two months I heard the same perky voice and was elated to see Parul, gleaming. I was too impatient to wait further and straight away asked, “Parul? What had happened that day? Are you alright?” All of a sudden her expressions changed and she wore a serious look. I was disgusted of my stupidity but before I could redo my act she broke her silence and began describing her day in Mehrauli. I was aware of her utmost passion about heritage and archaeological sites. I was also aware about the historic city of Mehrauli and the way it has hidden away about thousand years of Delhi’s past. I could feel how ecstatic she might have been amid the mysterious ruins of Archaeological Park or hearing the mesmerizing history of Qutub Complex. But, I mused whether her explanation was anyways leading to the question I had asked her. However, I could not afford to interrupt her for I noticed the way she had immersed herself in the narration. So, I let her continue:

“I was very excited for the Sunday morning, got ready, left the hostel, took the first metro to leave Dilshad metro station and was happy to be able to make on time for Mehrauli Walk. About three hours later although our group dispersed but I remained captivated with the awe the city carried. I could see lofty Qutub Minar at a close distance and wondered how I could leave without visiting it. The bus took me there and left me more amazed and stunned for it was not just the Qutub Minar, world’s tallest free standing stone tower but entire span of Delhi Sultunate ready to be explored through its mind boggling architectural remains scattered throughout the complex. The place was expectedly full of buzz but its huge area had well absorbed the crowd. I did not care about the hot sun, rushed to the booth, got my audio guide and began discovering the place. So excited I was until I tripped against the hidden pit in the grassy cover. I believe the pit was due to thrust from a water pipe. The jerk my ankle got was so hard that I could hardly walk thereafter. I tried to move to a shady tree. Minutes after, I felt as if I was in a deep sleep. I could not recall where I was. Oh! That was Alai Minar in front. It was only a moment while I was looking how badly the things I had been holding were littered on the floor  when I heard mixed voices from a group of three nasty men indicating my fall. Things were very clear now, I had lost my consciousness and for sometime memory as well. I did not want to highlight how vulnerable I was and so stood up and moved ahead. Shockingly, at my third step I lost my balance again and banged my head against a thick tree. Although I could save my consciousness this time but my mind was numb and my body lacked strength. More than that, I could not comprehend the ongoing situation. I did not know what to do as I feared another fall if I stood up. I could not remain static either for I had to brave the notorious males as well. For the first time I had lost my self confidence. These few hours taught me how it feels to be a marginalized. I was a ‘disabled’ ‘female’. Soon, I had to leave the place I had so eagerly entered.”

Parul was approaching her station and with a tear rolling down her cheek I heard her muttering, “No, I will not be revealing this incidence to anyone for I do not want to be suggested not to move to the heritage sites. What if I am called back to my hometown? I know they would definitely ask me not to move alone. I won’t be able to bear any speculations about the way I dressed that day. I would not digest any malign gossip about my character. I do not want them to add further ifs and buts to the situation. I do not understand….. ”

Parul got off the train infuriated. I kept probing myself why a UNESCO recognized site is without security guards? How callous people are, that they could not lend their genuine support to her. Parul could manage things but how would have been the reaction of a different girl to the same happenings? Was it Parul’s deteriorated health or her realization of the patriarchal ambience most disturbing to her? Would have she said the same things if she was a male? With further questions floating, I too got off at my station but the metro moved ahead.


Notice the trees and Alai Minar adjacent to each other.


No comments:

Post a Comment